The DofE Adventure
21 & 22 September
TERMS & CONDITIONS
DofE Adventure 2019
These are the terms and conditions that will govern an individual’s participation in the DofE Adventure 2019 and will, together with the Online Registration Form, the Online Confirmation (each as defined below) and any other terms and conditions referred to herein, form the contract between that individual and The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (“DofE”) and Massive (UK) Ltd (“Massive”). The DofE Adventure 2019 is organised by The DofE (which shall, in particular, process registrations from Participants in the run up to the DofE Adventure) and Massive, which The DofE has appointed to arrange all operational aspects of the DofE Adventure (including route planning, health and safety, logistics, and general organisation on the day(s) of the DofE Adventure itself). Applicants for the DofE Adventure 2018 should read these terms and conditions (“Terms and Conditions”) carefully before submitting an application to participate in the DofE Adventure 2019.
- The DofE Adventure 2019 consists of an event on foot (of up to two days) in the South Downs scheduled to take place on 21 and 22 September 2019 (“the Event”). The Event is organised by Massive on behalf of the DofE and shall be referred to in publicity materials, etc. as “DofE Adventure”.
- Only persons aged 18 years or above as at 21 September 2019 may register for the Event.
- Applicants must pay the registration fee (the “Registration Fee”) and submit a completed online registration form (“Online Registration Form”) which will be sent to each applicant once the initial registration has been completed.
- All successful applicants (hereinafter referred to as “Participants”) will be notified by way of an email confirmation that they have been allocated a place to take part in the Event (“Online Confirmation”).
- Places for the Event are strictly limited and therefore applications are subject to availability. Subject to Clauses 1.2 to 1.4 (inclusive) above, the DofE will consider applications from eligible Participants on a ‘first come, first served’ basis (which the DofE shall determine in its absolute discretion) and otherwise in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- The relevant date on which each registration is made shall be the date the Participant receives the Online Confirmation. The DofE is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer/Internet transmissions or other errors or malfunctions of any kind which may prevent receipt by the DofE of an Online Registration Form or receipt by an applicant of an Online Confirmation. For the avoidance of doubt, if, for any reason whatsoever, an applicant does not receive an Online Confirmation, said applicant shall not be considered to be a Participant and the DofE shall not be responsible for the applicant’s failed application.
- All Online Registration Forms must be received by The DofE on or before midnight on Friday 30 August 2019. (“Entry Deadline”). Any Online Registration received by The DofE after the Entry Deadline will not be accepted. This deadline is subject to change if the Event entries are full prior to the above date, and in accordance with Clause 1.5. The DofE reserves the right to close, disable or remove from its website the Online Registration Form at any time.
- Registration Fee – due on registration: £125
All prices are inclusive of VAT and exclude the minimum fundraising targets. Minimum fundraising target is: £150 per participant.
- Subject to the other provisions of this Clause 1, submission of the Online Registration Form, payment of the Registration Fee, and receipt of the Online Confirmation shall (together) entitle the Participant to participate in the Event.
- The Event is personal to the Participant accepting these Terms and Conditions, and the Participant undertakes and agrees (i) only to participate in the Event wearing the number assigned to his/her registration (“Participant Number”), (ii) not to authorise or permit any third party to use his/her Participant Number for the Event and (iii) not to sell, transfer or give any other person the right to participate in the Event and/or use their Participant Number, unless in accordance with Clause 2.2.
- If at any time it is discovered that any Participant should have been ineligible to participate in the Event or if participation in the Event should have been refused for any reason whatsoever, the DofE reserves the right to disqualify such Participant from/refuse such Participant entry to the Event. Further, the DofE reserves the right to reject at any time any Online Registration Form which it believes to be fraudulent, or to disqualify at any time any Participant it believes not to have fully complied with these Terms and Conditions from participating in the Event, or in any future DofE events. The DofE shall not be liable in any way to such Participant as a result of any such disqualification or refusal. It is the Participant’s responsibility to ensure full compliance with these Terms and Conditions.
Cancellation, Deferral And Participant Transfer Options
- The Registration Fee is non-refundable under any circumstances and is due, on submission of the Online Registration Form, as outlined in clause 1.7. If payment is rejected or not cleared for whatever reason, the DofE reserves the right to refuse registration and entry into the Event.
- A Participant can transfer their entry to another individual (“Participant Transfer”) provided this takes place before the Entry Deadline. To process a Participant Transfer there is an administration fee of £20 made payable to the DofE by the Outgoing Participant. Notice of a Participant Transfer must be communicated by the outgoing Participant by emailing [email protected] stating clearly the desire to make a Participant Transfer and the full name and email address of the new entrant (“Incoming Participant”). The Outgoing Participant will need to make payment of the £20 administration fee via phone by calling 020 7798 2854. Transfers will only be accepted until Friday 30 August 2019.
- Once the administration fee has been processed, the DofE will send the Incoming Participant a web link to sign up to the Event and the DofE will cancel the outgoing Participant’s registration. Payment of the Registration Fee will be taken from the original (Outgoing) Participant and is non-refundable in accordance with clause 2.1; it will therefore be a matter for the Outgoing Participant and the Incoming Participant to agree privately how that cost should ultimately be shared between them.
The DofE Adventure
- Subject to Clause 3.4 below, the Event will be held on 21 and 22 September 2019.
- The Event is a two day walking event travelling approximately 30km and 20km (“Event Distance”) per day. Participants are able to enter for either one or two days, both types of entry will include camping overnight at Base Camp on the Saturday night, with the option to camp on Friday night. Participants can either complete the route in groups or alone.
- The DofE and Massive may need to change the time, date, route and/or format of the Event and to cancel the Event, in whole or in part, due to circumstances beyond the reasonable control of The DofE and/or Massive (including, for example, extreme weather conditions, fire, flood, outbreak of disease, natural disasters, etc.). In such circumstances, The DofE shall inform the Participant by email of any such change or cancellation.
- Any Participant intending to cancel their place in the Event shall inform the DofE as soon as reasonably practicable. The Registration Fee is non-refundable under any such circumstances.
- The DofE and Massive reserve the right to remove any Participant from the Event, either during or before it, due to ill health, or any other reason that may render him/her unfit to safely complete the Event. The Participant confirms that he/she will not take part in the Event if he/she is suffering from any contagious illness (in particular diarrhoea or vomiting symptoms) and confirms that he/she will report any illness during the Event to the Event medical team immediately.
- Without prejudice to the DofE and Massive’s right to remove any Participant from the Event due to ill health pursuant to Clause 3.6 above, the Participant acknowledges and agrees that:
- If he/she is a participant and becomes ill with a non-infectious illness (as determined by the Event medical team) during Day 1 (Saturday 21 September 2019) but wishes to then join Day 2 (Sunday 22 September 2019) the DofE will, where reasonably practicable and subject to the advice of the Event medical team, transfer him/her to the overnight Base Camp (for the Saturday night only). Where such transfer is not reasonably practicable (or where the Event medical team advise against the Participant’s continued involvement in the Event), the Participant shall be removed from the Event.
- If, however, he/she becomes ill with an infectious illness (as determined by the Event medical team), the Participant shall be removed from the Event.
- A Participant may be disqualified (“Disqualification”) from the Event by the DofE if he/she arrives at the Check Point after the designated Check Point closure time (“Check Point Closure Time”). He/she will be responsible for his/ her repatriation according to Clause 3.9;
- In the event of a Participant having to leave the Event because of voluntary withdrawal or Disqualification, he/she will be responsible for making travel arrangements and shall pay all repatriation travel costs and related expenses. This includes repatriation from the overnight base camp or pit stops to the finish location as a result of voluntary withdrawal or Disqualification.
- No drugs, illegal substances, performance enhancing substances or intoxicants of any kind are permitted to be used by any Participant. The DofE and Massive reserves the right to refuse attendance at, or participation in, the Event by any persons found to have consumed or to have in their possession any drugs, illegal substances, performance enhancing substances or intoxicants of any kind.
- No dogs (except for, at the sole discretion of The DofE, guide dogs) or other animals or pets are permitted at the Event or on any of the Event routes.
- The DofE reserves the exclusive right and license throughout the world (and Participant hereby grants the DofE such exclusive right and licence) to interview and/or photograph and/or film the Participant at the Event (and before and after the Event as The DofE may reasonably require) and to the unlimited, worldwide, sub-licensable right to record, film, reproduce and use in all current and future media (including without limitation, print, audio, visual, audio-visual, virtual media, the Internet, mobile telephony, CD-ROM or DVDs) the Participant’s name, likeness and image or facsimile image, signature, voice, video and film portrayals and other means of identification of the Participant, and any biographical or other information or data related to the Participant (including times and results), in connection with the production, advertisement, marketing, promotion or sale of the Event or Event sponsor products and/or the promotion, marketing or advertisement of the DofE or any Event sponsor.
- As a continuing condition of entry each Participant shall ensure that, for the duration of the Event:
- he/she carries a charged mobile phone which can be used to contact the Participant [in case of emergency];
- he/she accepts that they are responsible for their own safety during the Event;
- he/she must be competent in navigating from a the Ordnance Survey map of the area.The route will be signposted; however, he/she remains responsible for navigating themselves from the start to the finish;
- he/she agrees that they are responsible for their own fitness to take part in the Event, and will consult a doctor prior to the Event to establish that their level of fitness is appropriate if necessary (or if reasonably required by the DofE or Massive);
- he/she does not start earlier than the official start time on each day of the Event (although he/she must arrive at the start of the Event route before 10am (or such other start time as communicated by The DofE in advance). Failure to comply with this rule will result in Disqualification;
- he/she completes the route between the hours before sunset on Saturday 21 September and Sunday 22 September (however, Massive reserves the right to alter the route start and finish times in the event of mitigating circumstances e.g. inclement weather conditions);
- he/she acknowledges that it is their responsibility to ensure that they have been correctly checked-in at each Check Point along the route;
- he/she acknowledges the recommended kit list of the Event, as communicated by email prior to the Event by the DofE;
- he/she understands that if they wish to withdraw from the Event, they must report to the nearest Check Point or contact the number provided;
- he/she understands they may not be transported by vehicle along any portion of the route / trail or between any Check Points on it, unless they have formally withdrawn or been Disqualified from the Event;
- due to the outdoor nature and endurance aspect of the Event, he/she maintains personal hygiene at all times, and adheres to all hygiene advice provided by the DofE;
- during the Event, he/she displays his/her Participant Number provided at registration in the manner indicated by the DofE or Massive;
- he/she follows the Event route signage at all times, and does not deviate from the official signed route and/or the route information or navigation instructions provided by the DofE or Massive for the Event;
- he/she abides by all Event rules and regulations as may be communicated to him/her by the DofE or Massive from time to time;
- he/she complies with the Countryside Codeat all times;
- he/she is responsible for the collection and appropriate disposal of his/her litter along the entirety of the route, at the Check Points, and at the overnight Base Camp;
- he/she understands and agrees that he/she is not permitted to bring a formal support crew along the route, as this could endanger the safety of Participants or other Event staff; and
- he/she obeys authorised marshals at all times; failure to do so will result in disqualification.
- he/she is responsible leaving their tent in the same condition as when they arrived. Participants will be charged a fee of £55 +VAT if tents are damaged or broken.
Participant’s Warranties And Undertakings
- The Participant warrants and undertakes that:
- he/she will be bound by these Terms and Conditions;
- The Participant agrees at all times during the Event to abide by the reasonable instructions and guidelines of Massive’s staff, nominated representatives, and contractors and to behave appropriately at all times on the route and in the overnight Base Camp (which, for the avoidance of doubt, shall only be available to Participants as a campsite on the Saturday night, i.e. on Day 1). Participants acknowledge and agree that Massive will organise and run the Event and will have sole authority and be the final arbiter on all decisions relating to the following aspects of the Event: health and safety, logistical operations, participation, and general organisation.
- The Participant understands the endurance demands of the Event and commits to preparing to take part in the Event by:
- Complying with the Event training advice as issued by the DofE.
- Completing a medical and dietary form as provided by the DofE prior to the Event.
- The Participant acknowledges that participation in the Event involves inherent risks of accidents and injury.
- The Participant acknowledges that he/she is personally responsible for his/her own belongings during the Event, and that he/she must collect any personal lost items from lost property before he/she leaves the Event.
- Participation in the Event is at the Participant’s own risk. Massive has been selected by The DofE on the strength of Massive’s experience and expertise in arranging activities similar to the Event. As such, Massive is responsible for the general safety and security of the Event. However, each Participant is responsible for acting sensibly and taking care to protect their own (and others’) health and safety, following Massive’s instructions, and letting Massive know as soon as possible if something goes wrong or if the Participant has any particular concerns. Within those limits, Massive shall not be liable to any person (including the Participant and/or any of the Participant’s insurers) in connection with any accident, loss, damage or injury (including death) arising out of the Participant’s attendance at and participation in the Event or any part thereof (except where any such injury or death is caused by the negligence of Massive or any of its employees).
- The Participant confirms without reservation that he/she is in a good physical condition to participate in the Event, that he/she understands the endurance demands of the Event, and will not arrive at the Event in ill health or unfit to take part.
- The Participant confirms that he/she will not publish or post on any website or other media operated by the DofE or related to the Event any text, statement, photograph, image or other material which is obscene, blasphemous, defamatory, infringes the intellectual property or other legal rights of any third party or is otherwise unlawful, offensive or inappropriate. The DofE will have the right to remove any material at its discretion and take appropriate legal action against any person found to be or alleged to be in breach of this Clause 4.4.
- The Participant acknowledges and agrees that the DofE and Massive shall use his/her personal details provided in his/her Online Registration Form and Online Confirmation for the following purposes:
- As the Event organiser, Massive requires a record of each Participant’s registration details including third party emergency contact details for internal administration purposes in order to properly conduct and to safely administer the Event.
- Massive will also keep records of medical information provided that it is kept confidential and may be shared only with medical personnel or teams allocated to the Event. Such information shall be deleted within a reasonable time following the completion of the Event unless the Participant agrees that we may use such information for future events which are staged within a reasonable timeframe thereafter.
- The DofE will use the Participant’s contact data submitted on the Online Registration Form to send the Participant information by e-mail and/or SMS relating to the Event, other Massive events and any further categories of news and promotional information as the Participant may have requested on the Online Registration Form.
- The DofE may send an e-mail or SMS notification following the Event inviting the Participant to submit or renew his/her registration for any future DofE events.
Fundraising for the DofE Adventure
- Any fundraising undertaken through the Event is undertaken as an independent supporter of the DofE. Participants should therefore refer to raising money “in aid of” the DofE, rather than on the DofE’s behalf.
- Participants shall comply with any instructions or guidance provided by the DofE relating to fundraising for the Event. Follow this link to view our Best Practice guidelines
- Participants shall not do anything that threatens the DofE’s reputation or name. If any Participant does so, the DofE reserves the right to ask that Participant to stop his/her Event participation and/or any associated fundraising immediately. Any funds already raised by that Participant in connection with his/her Event participation prior to this point shall still be owing to the DofE and must, unless otherwise directed, be paid to the DofE.
- Each Participant agrees to pay all of the proceeds raised by his/her fundraising activity to the DofE as soon as possible after the Event, and in accordance with the DofE’s instructions.
- Participants agree to encourage donors and/or sponsors to make gift aid declarations where eligible, which may enable the DofE (which is a registered charity) to recover basic rate tax on such donations. Further information about the Gift Aid scheme can be found on the DofE’s website at http://www.dofe.org/go/giftaid/
- All monies raised in connection with the Event will be held on trust for the DofE and Participants have a legal responsibility to ensure that all donations received in connection with the Event are paid to the DofE. All donations paid to the DofE are non-refundable. Participants shall deposit all fundraising monies and donations collected via the JustGiving page which he/she establishes as part of the Event registration process.
- Adventurers and their donors can elect to claim Gift Aid when submitting fundraising monies and donations online to JustGiving. However, Adventurers who are planning to pay monies into their JustGiving fundraising page on behalf of others (i.e. cash fundraising collected at any fundraising event) should note that this is not eligible for Gift Aid. For further information please refer to the HMRC Gift Aid.
DofE Adventure fundraising thank you hoodie
- Participants that raise at least £100 more than the minimum £150 fundraising target will receive an exclusive DofE Adventure 2019 hoodie. (Participants will have to individually raise £250 to receive a hoodie)
- Teams will need to raise an additional £100 per person. For example, a team of four will need to raise £150 + £100 per person, or a total of £1,000.
- In order to receive your hoodie, the funds must be raised by 30 August 2019. Please note, you can continue to fundraising for the Adventure until 31 December 2019, but you will only receive a hoodie if you have reached your target by the 30th August 2019.
- If money is raised offline, you can make a donation directly onto the DofE JustGiving page, with a note to say it’s for the DofE Adventure. Please email [email protected] to let us know you have done this. Or send a cheque made payable to ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award’ to: The DofE Adventure Team, The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, 11 Belgrave Road, London SW1V 1RB. Monies raised offline will need to be received by the Adventure team before 30 August 2019 to qualify for a hoodie.
- The hoodies will be given when you register at Base Camp. The size will be based on the size you provided when selecting your DofE Adventure t-shirt.
- Only one hoodie per person.
- Please note that no cash alternative will be offered.
Use of personal data for fundraising purposes
- If a Participant provides to the DofE photographs or videos taken during his/her fundraising activity for the DofE, he/she agrees that these may be used by the DofE for commercial and/or fundraising purposes. By sending these to the DofE, the Participants are also confirming that anyone featuring prominently in the photograph or video is aged 16 or over, and that they have consented to their image being used in this way.
- The DofE only uses Participants’ personal information in accordance with its privacy statement. Please read it carefully as it includes important terms which apply to you.
- We will use your email address to send information needed for your participation in the Adventure. You can also opt in to DofE Fundraising emails, with the option to unsubscribe at any time.
- If you are registering as part of a corporate team, we will let your company know that you have signed up and may share your fundraising total with them.
- If any provision in these Terms and Conditions, whether in full or in part, is held to be invalid or unenforceable, all other remaining provisions (in full or in part) shall continue to be valid and enforceable.
- No failure or delay by the DofE or Massive in exercising any right, power or privilege under this Agreement shall impair the same or operate as a waiver of the same. The rights and remedies provided in this Agreement are cumulative and not exclusive of any rights and remedies provided by law.
- These Terms and Conditions (and any documents referred to herein) constitute the entire agreement and understanding of the parties and supersede any previous agreement between the parties relating to the Event. Nothing in these conditions shall constitute or be deemed to constitute a partnership between the parties. These Terms and Conditions shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any dispute arising hereunder shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.