Advice and tips for DofE participants and Award holders
Finding a new job is exciting, but we understand that it can also be a little daunting. So we’ve included these hints and tips, to help you make your application as successful as it can be.
Some general tips for applications:
- Formality in your application is a must.
- Make time to check it over.
- Be specific – is it effectively targeted to the position and employer?
- Plan your answers in a Word document and get them checked over for content and style. Don’t make spelling / grammar errors.
- The more you prepare – the better your application will be.
- Always keep a copy in case the interview refers to it.
- Make sure you mention your DofE Award. Put it prominently on your CV – employers rate it highly.
- Then think about how your DofE experiences prove you have the skills required for the job.
What do Lloyds look for in their candidates?
Motivation Commercial awareness
Drive Customer focused
Logical thinking Potential for leadership
All of these capabilities are assessed athroughout the application process. You will have developed many, if not all, of these skills through your DofE programme, click here to find out more.
Interview tips for DofE Award holders
A good way to approach competency-based interviews is to use the ‘STAR’ technique below and don’t forget to wear your DofE badge – it’s always a great conversation starter!
|SITUATION OR TASK|
|Describe the situation/task you needed to accomplish.
Make your answer specific.
Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand.
|Describe the action you took – keep the focus on you.
What specifically was your involvement?
Don’t say what you might have done, say what you did.
How did the event end?
What did you accomplish?
What did you learn?
The key features of the application process for Lloyds Banking Group:
- Competency based questions
- Suitability / cultural screening
- Psychometric tests
- Telephone interview
- Assessment centre (which includes a group exercise, role play, presentations and an interview)
Find out more
As part of their pledge to Help Britain Prosper, Lloyds have created a new site, The Youth Hub, to help young people discover what matters to them.
Check out the site at www.discoverwhatmatters.co.uk.