Choosing activities for sections
The next exciting step of your adventure is deciding what you are going to do as part of your DofE programme. There are so many different activities to choose from, just go to the section pages for more information, ideas and advice – you can also download some ideas lists and a handy programme planner for each section to help you identify the activity you want to do, who’s assessing you and what goals you’re setting for yourself.
There is a fantastic list of activities to choose from but, if you can’t find exactly what you want to do, have a chat to your Leader – most activities can count towards your DofE. All we ask is that any new activity is checked with your Licensed Organisation to make sure it’s counted for the right section and that you’ve set yourself enough of a challenge.
The definitive rules can be found in The Handbook for DofE Leaders, available in the DofE Essentials Shop (you have to sign into eDofE first).
To help you get started here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need to think about:
- You decide: It is up to you to find an activity that you wish to do in your own personal time; maybe something you’re already doing or something you are interested in. Most of all pick something you’ll enjoy – it’ll make it easier to stick at it!
- How much is the activity? It depends on what you are planning to do, some will be expensive, some will be cheap and some will be completely free – it is your choice on how much you want to spend on each activity.
- Where can I do an activity? Find out whether this activity can be done in your local area. If it can’t, then it might involve you looking further away or searching for another activity. Part of the challenge of doing your DofE is finding a local opportunity.
- How long do I have to do it? That depends on which level you are working towards and which section you are on. Please see the section pages for the different time requirements by level.
Insurance and safety for an activity: You may need to ask the provider of that activity what training and insurance cover is required or is in place.
- Check the activity: Remember to check if what you are planning to do is permitted for the section. The DofE is very firm on what activities fall into which sections and they cannot be used for more than one section.
- Changing your activity: Even though we don’t encourage this, if absolutely necessary, you may make one change of activity in each section at each level. You must restart the preparation, training, activity and assessment process and the time spent on both activities will add up to meet the overall time requirements for that section.
- Repeating activities for the next level: If you did a previous level (Bronze/Silver), you can choose the same activity for your next level (Silver/Gold), but you need to show development in it. It’s best to try something new!
- Remember to tell your Leader about your plans before you start so you don’t waste time on activities which won’t count or don’t fit into the right section!
Speak to your DofE Leader or Co-ordinator for further advice – they may know what activities and opportunities are available locally.
Once everything is agreed and in place you’re ready to start your adventure. Have fun!
Download some handy personal Programme Planners for each section:
Download the Programme Ideas lists of activities in each section: