From sailing along the Norfolk Broads to walking in Canada or horse riding in the Brecon Beacons, your expedition can be as far-flung or as close to home as you want it to be. You can choose how you want to travel – it doesn’t just have to be on foot! You could choose to do your expedition by bike, by canoe, by kayak, by wheelchair, by sailing boat or even on a horse or llama!
There’ll need to be between four and seven of you in an expedition team (eight if you’ve chosen to travel by tandem canoe or bike). With your team, you’ll plan an aim for your expedition, decide on your location and do lots of fun training to make sure you’re fully prepared and know what you’re doing! Your Leader will arrange a Supervisor to work with your team to organise all of this and help you plan your expedition.
Once you’ve done the preparation the fun starts when you go out and do a practice and a qualifying expedition. Once you’ve completed your final expedition you’ll give a presentation about your experiences and your achievements to your Supervisor, Assessor or another adult.
What do you need to do next?
- Find out what you need to do in detail, including the process and timescales, on our expedition requirements page
- Check out the ideas in each of the categories of expedition mode of travel using the links below. Remember – you need to get your Leader to agree your choice and make sure it fits our requirements and 20 conditions.
- Download a handy Expedition section programme planner from our expedition downloads page
- See some ideas for aims here, or download a list of expedition ideas from our expedition downloads page
- Develop a plan for your expedition which is specific and relevant to you (and your team)
- Once you’ve got your activity, Supervisor, Assessor and goals sorted, set up your plan in eDofE, get your Leader to approve them – and you’re good to go!
Going on an expedition?
Don’t forget your two essential expedition downloads, the DofE kit guide – advice and information on the kit you’ll need and the DofE kit list – your check list to make sure you have and have packed the kit you’ll need.
Modes of transport
- Got a question on this section? Go here…
- Worried about periods on expeditions? Here’s some advice.
- Great FREE online mapping tool – create routecards with ease. Available now through eDofE.
- Download our Countryside code advice etc here.
- Five ways to look after the country (Countryside Code)
- Looking for expedition training or an open expedition to join? Try our Opportunity Finder…
- What you need to do including timescales
- 20 conditions of the Expedition section
- 20 Conditions of the Expedition section variations 2019
- Essential advice on the expedition kit you’ll need.
- Expedition kit list and discounts
- Expedition food advice
- Expedition areas & Assessor info
- Approved Activity Providers listing
- All expedition forms and downloads
- 50% off YHA membership, free DofE group membership plus 10% discount on your YHA visit!