Do you prefer going it alone? Want to learn or improve in a sport that does not require an opponent or team? This is your chance!
The possibilities are endless and you should find a person, people or group local to you that could help. You should develop a programme which is interesting, relevant to you and will improve your physical fitness. Along the way you’ll have fun, make friends, learn new skills – or even share your own skills with others!
Here are just a few ideas of the sort of things you could do to get you started:
- Learn a new athletic discipline, such as discus, javelin or shot put
- Join your local athletics club to improve your technique and compare it
- Aim to beat the school record at hurdles through regular practice
- Train regularly and compete in competitions, improving your time
- Get instruction on how to perfect your stance and focus and set and achieve personal targets each week
- Go to your local archery club regularly and improve through sharing techniques with others
- Train for and compete in an archery contest
- Take a weekly beginner’s archery course and gain a certificate
- Go on weekly mountain bike rides, improving your distance and stamina over time
- Learn how to ride a bike with the help of family or friends
- Race in speed trials at a local velodrome
- Go cycling every week with a local club, going on different routes and setting fitness or speed targets
- Learn how to horse ride through weekly lessons
- Improve your riding by having regular training with a qualified instructor
- Study and train for your pony club exams
- Discover dressage and learn how to jump. Show off your skills in a competition
Remember, these are just a few ideas. Chat to your Leader, family, friends and people who’ve already achieved an Award to see what they’ve done and what opportunities are available in your local area.
Don’t forget to check with your Leader that what you choose to do meets the DofE’s requirements for this section and your level.
Download the full list of Physical section ideas here: programme_ideas_-_physical