Do you want to try out martial arts or learn new martial art moves? This is your chance!
The possibilities are endless and you should find a person, people or group local to you that could help. You should develop a programme which is interesting, relevant to you and will increase your physical fitness. Along the way you’ll have fun, make friends, learn new skills – or even share your own skills with others!
Here are just a few ideas of the sort of things you could do to get you started:
- Learn new throws and holds and how to fall, and attain your next grading
- Attend a local judo class and learn sparring techniques
- Regularly train and compete in judo tournaments
- Achieve your first judo grading
Tae Kwon Do
- Learn how to break, boards, bricks, tiles, blocks of ice or other materials
- Practice sparring, including step sparring, free-style sparring, arranged sparring and point sparring
- Progress from one grade to the next, demonstrating your proficiency in aspects of the sport
- Learn throwing and /or falling techniques and self-defence moves
- Progress from one grade / belt to the next
- Join a karate club and learn basic techniques
- Learn an Asian style of unarmed combat using the hands and feet to deliver and block blows
- Learn to become a karate sensei
Remember, these are just a few ideas. Chat to your Leader, family, friends and people who’ve already achieved an Award to see what they’ve done and what opportunities are available in your local area.
Don’t forget to check with your Leader that what you choose to do meets the DofE’s requirements for this section and your level.