To achieve your Gold Award, you need to complete an extra section – the Residential. This involves spending 5 days and 4 nights away from home on a shared activity with people you’ve never met before.
It’s a big, exciting and very fulfilling experience. It may be that you want to build on a talent you’ve developed in another section, learn something completely new on an intensive course or do something to help others. From learning to snowboard in Scotland to helping at a children’s camp, from working with the National Trust to helping on an urban recycling project, or from learning French in Paris to sailing a tall ship, there are loads of exciting possibilities to find the activity that’s just right for you.
What do you need to do next?
- Find out what you need to do in detail, including the process and timescales, on our residential requirements page
- Check out the ideas in each of the residential categories of activity using the links below. Remember – you need to get your Leader to agree your choice and make sure it fits our requirements for the Residential section
- Download a handy Residential section programme planner: programme planner – Residential
- Download a list of Residential section ideas
- Check your plan meets our requirements using the handy Residential_Checklist
- Develop a plan for a programme which is specific and relevant to you
- Once you’ve found a residential you want to do, ask the person running it, or another adult there, to be your Assessor
- Once you’ve got your activity, Assessor and goals sorted, set up your plan in eDofE, get your Leader to approve them – and you’re good to go!
- Don’t forget to remind them when you get there that you want your time with them to count towards your Gold DofE programme and meet with your Assessor!
- Got a question on this section? Go here…
- Check out the amazing range of residential opportunities currently available!