Coaching, teaching and leadership
Have you got, or want to develop, your leadership skills? Do you have an expertise that you’d love to share with others and help them improve their talents? This could be the volunteering category for you!
The possibilities are endless and you should find a group where you can get involved. Don’t forget, with this category, if you need training to be able to start the practical leadership part, this should be no more than a quarter of your total volunteering time. If not, you could do the course for your Skills section then do your voluntary leadership once you’ve qualified!
You should develop a programme which is interesting, relevant to you and will make a difference. Along the way you’ll have fun, make friends, learn new skills – or even share your own skills with others!
Here are just a few ideas of the sort of things you could do to get you started:
DofE & Leadership
- Coach participants in video making and photography & uploading into eDofE
- Set up and support a team volunteering opportunity
- Mentor a Bronze DofE group
- Coach with your community football/hockey team
- With a teacher, set up a lunchtime exercise club at your local primary school
- Run street dance lessons for a local under 13s youth club
- Conduct your college choir
- Train a Girls’/Boys Brigade marching band
- Run a primary school music club, teaching an instrument you can play
- Be a uniformed youth group leader
- Help run an after-school kids’ club
- Take responsibility for a voluntary group’s admin, budget and equipment
- Mentor a young person who is experiencing difficulties
- Use your sign language skills to mentor deaf pupils in your school
- Help another young person develop their IT skills
Remember, these are just a few ideas. Chat to your Leader, family, friends and people who’ve already achieved an Award to see what they’ve done and what opportunities are available in your local area.
Don’t forget to check with your Leader that what you choose to do meets the DofE’s requirements for this section and your level.