Helping a charity or community organisation
Are you keen to give something back to a particular charity or want to make a difference in a community organisation? This could be the volunteering category for you!
The possibilities are endless and you should find a local charity or community organisation that could help.
Here are just a few ideas of the sort of things you could do to get you started:
- Design and maintain a website for a local community group
- Help your DofE Leader to use eDofE
- Write bids to grant-giving bodies to raise money for your youth group
- Give general office support to a children’s charity
- Run a quiz night for the Red Cross
- Be a marshal at a series of Cadet events
- Take part in some sponsored events for your favourite charity to meet a fundraising target
- Organise an innovative presentation evening for your DofE group and write a guide for others
Serving a faith community
- Run a weekly prayer group
- Help a group of young people prepare for their Bar Mitzvah
- Help at events/functions in your local church, temple or mosque
- Work with friends to raise funds for Save the Children
- Take an active part in a campaign to send shoeboxes of resourses overseas
- Do a sponsored bike ride to raise money for the British Heart Foundation
- Work in a charity shop, creating great window displays
Check out these great ideas for fundraising:
Remember, these are just a few ideas. Chat to your Leader, family, friends and people who’ve already achieved an Award to see what they’ve done and what opportunities are available in your local area.
Participants under the age of 16 who wish to volunteer in a charity shop may have to apply for a work permit through their local council. Please contact your local council for more information.
Don’t forget to check with your Leader that what you choose to do meets the DofE’s requirements for this section and your level.