This Biomedical Science residential programme provides students aged 16-19 with a rare opportunity to gain essential skills in immunology, pathology, microbiology, molecular biology and more. Under the guidance of our experienced research scientists, you will become immersed in the laboratory environment and get to grips with biomedical science through real-world experiments in our state-of-the-art diagnostic laboratories.
• Become proficient in blood typing to match a patient to a donor.
• Prepare bacterial cultures and perform microscopy on pre-prepared slides.
• Understand disease outbreaks in our pandemic scenario.
• Learn to use ELISA and PCR to master the medical laboratory.
• Get up close and personal with the lab side of diagnosis.
• Analyse patient samples and put together a plan of action.
The programme is taught with a very low student-to-tutor ratio, so you will likely meet several scientists during your time with us. This also allows you to spend as much time as necessary to practice techniques until you are confident. We ask participants to design their own experiments and allow them to make (safe) mistakes in order to learn from them; this helps you to develop your independent research skills and gain confidence in your ability in the lab.