Step into both clinical and laboratory settings with this hybrid programme and gain hands-on experience in patient-facing and medical laboratory roles under the guidance of our real doctors and scientists. The Clinical Skills & Medical Research programme is designed to give students aged 16-19 a chance to experience both laboratory and clinical environments and is perfect for students interested in studying healthcare related subjects such Medicine, Nursing and Biomedical Science at university.
• Practice taking patient histories and conducting assessments.
• Interpret NEWS charts, take manual blood pressure readings & conduct ECGs.
• Use peak flow assessment and spirometry for disease diagnosis.
• Master micropipetting and prepare stock solutions using molarity calculations.
• Carry out blood typing to match a patient to a donor in an emergency scenario.
• Process clinical samples using ELISA and learn Gram staining of bacteria.
The programme is taught with a very low student-to-tutor ratio, so you will likely meet several doctors and scientists during your time with us. This also allows you to spend as much time as necessary to practice techniques until you are confident.