This Laboratory Skills residential programme provides students aged 16-19 with a rare opportunity to gain hands-on training and experience in a real laboratory environment. Under the guidance of our experienced research scientists, you will become immersed in the laboratory environment and master the skills needed for all future lab work.
• Attend a laboratory induction covering H&S, Risk Assessments & COSHH.
• Investigate the effects of toxic nanomaterials on lung macrophage cells.
• Learn aseptic technique & how to culture E. coli and B. subtilis in nutrient broth.
• Explore the effects of natural antimicrobials and pharmaceutical antibiotics.
• Learn Gram staining of bacteria and process clinical samples using ELISA.
• Master microscopy and spread & streak plates.
The programme is taught with a very low student-to-tutor ratio, so you will likely meet several scientists during your time with us. This also allows you to spend as much time as necessary to practice techniques until you are confident. We ask participants to design their own experiments and allow them to make (safe) mistakes in order to learn from them; this helps you to develop your independent research skills and gain confidence in your ability in the lab.