This unique one-week course focuses on the creative side of magazine design and production.
You’ll be given the opportunity to explore ideas, photography, storytelling, marketing and art direction.
You’ll generate your own eight-page magazine about a subject that matters to you, complete with individual photography, writing and design.
On this course you will:
– generate ideas around what is at the heart of a magazine and what it aims to do
– research your competitors and target audience, and look at how you can make your magazine stand out from what already exists
– consider editorial narrative, tone of voice, layout and structure
– discuss the brand, looking at design, style and printing techniques that can make a magazine unique
– discuss the potential exposure and stockists of the magazine, through events, social media and a network
– generate photographic and written content around your ideas.
No previous design or software experience is required for this course.
Good ideas and a willingness to collaborate are more important.
The course will combine lectures and workshops with photography and software sessions.
In addition to an excellent knowledge of the magazine design and print industry, you’ll leave the course with your own eight-page printed magazine and the InDesign files to go on and create more issues.
The magazine, images and articles will also become valuable pieces to add to a portfolio.
You should have an enthusiasm for magazine, art direction and storytelling, and an interest in developing your creative and technical skills.