Become a Zookeeper at Dartmoor Zoo
Hampshire DofE, in conjunction with Dartmoor Zoo (the home of ‘We Bought a Zoo’), offer a unique and Award winning 5-day zoo keeper’s residential. This enjoyable opportunity is perfect for anyone with a passion for animals, nature conservation or looking to study in a related area.
Dartmoor Zoo and local bunkhouse
Monday 14th August to Friday 18th August 2023
Monday 28th August to Friday 1st September 2023
- Accommodation in the heart of Dartmoor National Park and all food.
- Transport from and to Winchester (if required)
- All transfers to and from the zoo.
- A 5-day residential that combines theory-based tasks with practical zoo experiences!
- A written reference from the zoo stating your hours of work experience for animal/vet related applications.
- Practical experiences with fully qualified educators and senior level Dartmoor Zoo staff team.
- A sleepover at the zoo, providing an insight into the wild world of the zoo at night.
- Animal encounters.
- Animal training and behaviour workshops.
- Animal handling and care.
- A morning of animal husbandry rounds.
- ‘We designed a Zoo’ Challenge.
“An incredible experience where I felt safe and comfortable in the company of a great group of people, having fun every day. I would strongly recommend this residential to anyone like myself who simply likes animals or anyone who is looking to pursue a career in animals/ conservation/environment. It was engaging and interesting and I learnt extensively about a variety of aspects of animals, the environment and careers involving animals”- Annabel
”It was enjoyable and interesting and provided a very good insight into what it is like to work in a zoo/with animals. It was well-organised and enjoyable and great to meet new people”- Ella- Sir William Perkins’s School
“The best decision choosing this residential, I loved every part of it! The opportunity to make friends with other students who all share a common passion. Extremely organised residential, memorable, and overall, the best experience”- Harriet- Kenilworth School
“Definitely would recommend this residential, it’s different from the ‘usual’ residential and most likely will never get the opportunity to experience anything like that ever again. As well as being fun, its informative which was a big bonus”- Polly- Barton Peveril College
Details and booking