Do you wish you had more money but don’t know where to start? Or perhaps you want to learn how to make money from investing?
Our online, six-month course will teach you the essential skills you need to manage your money and invest in shares from a personal finance and investment expert.
How does the course work?
The course is online, can be started at any time and is self-paced so you can fit it around existing commitments. The course material is delivered via your online account on our website.
Each week consists of a video to watch, followed by a practical (but theoretical!) task to help you develop your money management and investing skills. Together, the video and task should take an hour to complete.
Our courses are tailored to young people, with lots of practical tips and step-by-step real-life challenges.
We offer the option of three, six and twelve month courses, also covering business and everyday life skills.
What will the course cover?
Our six-month course on “how to manage your money and invest in shares” covers a wide range of skills.
The first part of the course focuses on money management to cover all the skills you need to take control of your personal finances:
• You’ll learn about how to choose the best bank accounts and credit cards and the basics of budgeting.
• We’ll teach how to be a savvy shopper when it comes to getting the best price.
• We’ll suggest ways you can earn some extra money from a side hustle, and how to find the best value mobile phone contract.
• You’ll learn everything you need to know about owning a car, getting your first job and the basics of buying a property.
The second part of the course will focus on how to invest in shares:
• You’ll learn about the basics of owning shares, why share prices move and how you can make a profit from owning shares.
• We’ll teach you how to create a balanced portfolio and how to balance risk and reward. You’ll review my investment portfolio and make suggestions on how to improve it for this week’s task.
• You’ll research different sectors to see which would have made you the most money.
• We’ll explain how to analyse which shares to buy, including a simple introduction to valuation and key measures.
• You’ll compare some of the trading platforms on offer and the fees they charge. We’ll also look at the basics of investing in funds.
• At this point you’ll start a six-week investment challenge: you’ll pick shares and funds and set up a virtual portfolio. You’ll review how they perform against ‘blind tips’, learn some trading tips and work out the final profit or loss you’ve made
How does the sign-off process work?
We are a licensed Skills Section Approved Activity Provider (AAP) for The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. This means our courses meet the requirements of the skills section for Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
When you sign up, we will provide the necessary details for your eDofE account.
Once you’ve completed the course, we will complete your personalised assessor’s report, and sign off your skills section as completed.