Do you wish you had more money but don’t know where to start? Or perhaps you want to learn how to make money from investing or how to set up a business?
Our online, twelve-month course will teach you the essential money management, business, investing and life skills from a personal finance and investment expert.
How does the course work?
The course is online, can be started at any time and is self-paced so you can fit it around existing commitments. The course material is delivered via your online account on our website.
Each week consists of a video to watch, followed by a practical (but theoretical!) task to help you develop your skills. Together, the video and task should take an hour to complete.
Our courses are tailored to young people, with lots of practical tips, step-by-step real-life challenges and inspiring case studies.
We also offer the option of three and six month courses
What will the course cover?
The first part of the course focuses on money management. You’ll learn:
• How to choose the best bank accounts and the basics of budgeting.
• How to be a savvy shopper when it comes to getting the best price.
• Ways you can earn some extra money from a side hustle, and how to find the best value mobile phone contract.
• Everything you need to know about owning a car, getting your first job and buying a property.
The second part of the course focuses on how to invest in shares. You’ll learn:
• The basics of owning shares, why share prices move and how you can make a profit.
• How to create a balanced portfolio and how to balance risk and reward.
• How research different sectors to see which would have made you the most money.
• How to analyse which shares to buy, including a simple introduction to valuation and key measures.
• At this point you’ll start a six-week investment challenge: you’ll pick shares and funds and set up a virtual portfolio. You’ll review how they perform against ‘blind tips’, learn some trading tips and work out the final profit or loss you’ve made.
The last part of the course focuses on everyday life and cooking skills. You’ll learn how to:
• Manage your time more effectively.
• Become a crack negotiator and confident communicator.
• Write a great CV.
• Book a great holiday using our tips and tricks.
• Save money on your food shop with our grocery bill challenge.
• Cook a range of nutritious recipes, including chocolate brownies, honey salmon, homemade pizza, fish goujons and chips and bang-bang chicken with rice.
How does the sign-off process work?
We are a licensed Skills Section Approved Activity Provider (AAP) for The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. This means our courses meet the requirements of the skills section for Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
When you sign up, we will provide the necessary details for your eDofE account.
Once you’ve completed the course, we will complete your personalised assessor’s report, and sign off your skills section as completed.