Volunteers help make Sense Holidays unforgettable!
Every summer, disabled adults and children all over the UK start getting ready to do something they’ve never done before – going away on holiday! For many, Sense Holidays are the first time they leave home and family for an adventure of their own. It’s such an exciting week!
These holidays are a chance for new experiences, new friendships and making memories that’ll last a lifetime. You’ll be there as our holidaymakers dance, sail and horse ride their way through each day. There’s no end to what they can do.
By volunteering, you’re also giving families and carers a break from supporting their loved ones. Having this week to themselves means so much, especially when they’re able to relax knowing that we’re keeping everyone safe and happy.
There are lots of Sense Holidays to choose from. They take place on various dates between Saturday 1 July – Friday 25 August 2023. This is a one-week residential volunteering opportunity.
You’ll be partnered with a holidaymaker who we think will be a good match for you. We want everyone to have a good time and to be with someone who shares their energy, interests and communication style. Sometimes, we’ll ask volunteers to float around the group, getting to know different holidaymakers.
Throughout the week, you’ll be supporting holidaymakers to engage with the group activities, be it rock climbing, swimming or messy play. As you get to know them, you’ll start to understand their needs and personality more. Soon you’ll be moving as one; supporting their eating, relaxing and personal care like a pro.
To keep everything running smoothly, everyone pitches in to help with cooking, cleaning, driving and other aspects of running a safe group holiday.
What we can offer you
Never done anything like this before? Don’t worry, you’ll make an incredible volunteer. Way before you start packing your suitcase, we’ll make sure that you’re equipped with the skills and confidence to shine.
You’ll be given training, talks and resources to introduce you to the world of care. Then, you’ll get a chance to meet fellow volunteers and your Holiday Leader, who’ll tell you about the upcoming trip and your holidaymakers.
Holiday Leaders are Sense employees. They plan the trips and make sure that everyone stays safe, supported and happy. These superstar organisers are experienced and will be by your side throughout your holiday.
On Sense Holidays, volunteers can expect to:
• Have free accommodation, food and drink – you get to help build the week’s menu and stock the snack cupboards!
• Join in activities with the holidaymakers and other volunteers.
• Be reimbursed for expenses, such as travel.
• Receive a written statement of gratitude, recognising your volunteering contribution. This may be useful as a reference for future employment or volunteering.
• Take part in additional e-learning (if they wish), to develop disability awareness and basic sign language skills.
To volunteer on a Sense Holiday is to do something truly amazing. It’s a brilliant way of developing new skills, trying new things and meeting new, inspiring people.?
Who we are looking for
Previous experience isn’t essential – if you’re at least 17 years old and have got the right attitude then we want to hear from you! Our training and support will equip you with everything else you need.
This said, we’re always keen to hear from volunteers who have knowledge or experience of any of the following:
• Working in a caring role or supporting people with complex needs or challenging behaviours.
• British Sign Language (BSL) and/or other communication methods, like Makaton.
• Working with mobility needs.
• Supporting autistic people and/or people with learning disabilities
We’re excited to hear from you! This year’s Sense Holidays are going to be really special, so we hope you’ll consider joining us.
How To Apply
• Fill in the application form – https://www.sense.org.uk/get-involved/volunteering-with-sense/volunteer-sense-holiday/
• If you’re a good fit, we’ll invite you to an informal virtual interview
• Once you’ve been accepted, we’ll carry out reference and Disclosure & Barring (DBS) checks
• Then, we’ll send you all the details of the training you’ll need to do
• Finally, we’ll allocate you to a holiday!
If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteering Team at [email protected]
We really look forward to hearing from you!