Are you aged 13-24? We are looking for young volunteers to help deliver the Summer Reading Challenge between July and September!
Summer Reading Challenge volunteers will work alongside library staff in delivering the Summer Reading Challenge. They will welcome children and parents, give support, praise and encouragement, and do their best to ensure that each child completes the challenge, enjoys the experience and gets maximum benefit from taking part.
With guidance from library staff, the volunteer may do a selection of the following tasks:
– Explaining the challenge to children and parents and encouraging them to sign up
– Signing children up for the challenge
– Helping children to find and choose books
– Preparing materials for craft activities
– Attending and assisting with activities/events (in or out of the library)
– Creating or helping to create displays in libraries
– Listening to children talking about what they’ve read
– Keeping children’s area tidy and putting away stock when necessary
– And much more!
It’s an ideal opportunity to improve your UCAS application, enhance your CV, and meet new people!
We have 42 libraries across North Yorkshire who are looking for support with this year’s challenge. Please visit the website via the link to find out where your local library is.
Please note: The challenge takes place throughout the summer holidays, though there may be some opportunities for volunteers outside these dates, helping with preparation and admin tasks. Volunteering will be in blocks of 2 to 3 hours during daytime and will usually be in the library, though some activities may take place at other venues. A minimum of 10 hours volunteering is required.