Arts & Crafts Buddy
Discovery supports people with learning disabilities and autism, helping them to live more independently at home and in the community. We are looking for volunteers to help us with this amazing work, and the wonderful things the people we support achieve. We are really proud to offer a wide range of activities and services to the people we support.
We are looking for a volunteer buddy, who is creative and enjoys engaging in different arts and crafts activities, to work with the people we support.
About the role
Are you a bit of a creative genius? Well this volunteering opportunity is the perfect way to enjoy sharing your passion. The volunteer will be able to introduce new crafts to the people and support them to get creative.
No specific experience is required, however experience with adults with disabilities would be desirable
Exact days and times will be agreed with the locality manager.
We would ask the volunteer to commit to attending their role on a regular basis. Stability and routine are vital in supporting adults with learning disabilities and autism.
A DBS check will be required for this role. Two character references will also be required.
Activities will include
• Assisting in planning specific activities, with the advice and support of Discovery Colleagues
• Providing one to one support with the arts and crafts activities
• Having a chat!
Activities will not include
• No financial assistance.
• No personal care.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Good with crafts
• A good listener
• Upbeat personality
• Comfortable chatting with people with learning disabilities and autism
The first step would be to meet local Discovery colleagues and the people who are interested in taking part in crafts for an informal chat.
What you can expect from Discovery
• An organisation that values volunteers’ individual differences, interests and strengths
• A welcoming, supportive and positive volunteering atmosphere
• Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Discovery colleagues
• A comprehensive and personal induction to volunteering and your role
• Agreed travel expenses reimbursed
• An opportunity to gain real experience in the health and social care sector
• Free training which results in a certificate.
Want to apply for this role?
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you. You can apply by clicking the button below and submitting an application via our website. If you prefer we can take your application over the telephone.
If you have any questions about the role, or would like to discuss it in more detail please call our volunteering team on 0300 303 9162, or email us at [email protected].