Information if you are planning on visiting Scotland to complete your DofE expedition in the Greater Cairngorms.
Rosebery House, 9 Haymarket Terrace
T: 0131 343 0920
E: [email protected]
Greater Cairngorms boundaries map.gpx – for eDofE mapping
Managing woodland access and forest operations in Scotland – aimed at forest managers but has useful information about access in forest areas for walkers and cyclists.
To manage the large number of teams visiting the area the following estates manage wild camping in popular locations. Please see resources above for more details on each estate.
- Derry Lodge and The Punch Bowl at Quoich on Mar Lodge estate
- Glen Muick on Balmoral estate
- Bridge o’Ess on Glentanar estate
There are also restrictions on camping in the following areas:
- Loch Ordie – due north of Dunkeld – All DofE groups are requested not to camp in the immediate vicinity of the Loch. Alternative campsites have been identified north of Loch Ordie and groups are requested to use these instead of the shoreline of the loch.
- Glen Prosen. Renovation work has been done at Kilbo Bothy (NO 249 708) and it is now frequently used. All groups are requested to not camp in this area.
- Daldhu (NO 025 706). This house is used as a holiday home and groups should assume the building is occupied and camp a respectful distance away.
- Glen Livet estate has identified preferred camping sites.