Do you wish you had more money but don’t know where to start? Or do you want to set up a business or learn a range of financial, marketing and website skills to help with your future career?
Our online, six-month course will teach you the essential money management and business skills from a personal finance and investment expert.
How does the course work?
The course is online, can be started at any time and is self-paced so you can fit it around existing commitments. The course material is delivered via your online account on our website.
Each week consists of a video to watch, followed by a practical (but theoretical!) task to help you develop your money management and business skills. Together, the video and task should take an hour to complete.
Our courses are tailored to young people, with lots of practical tips and step-by-step real-life challenges.
We offer the option of three, six and twelve month courses, also covering investing and everyday life skills.
What will the course cover?
Our six-month course on “how to manage your money and set up a business” covers a wide range of skills.
The first part of the course focuses on money management to cover all the skills you need to take control of your personal finances:
• You’ll learn about how to choose the best bank accounts and credit cards and the basics of budgeting.
• We’ll teach how to be a savvy shopper when it comes to getting the best price.
• We’ll suggest ways you can earn some extra money from a side hustle, and how to find the best value mobile phone contract.
• You’ll learn everything you need to know about owning a car, getting your first job and the basics of buying a property.
The second part of the course covers the basic skills you need to set up your own business:
• You’ll learn how to create and research your business idea.
• We’ll teach you what you need to know about creating a business plan, together with the basic finance skills you need to get to grips with the financial side of running your own business.
• You’ll learn how to create a brand identity, including how to choose a brand name, select a domain and create an eye-catching logo.
• You’ll learn about the different ways of advertising and marketing your business.
• We’ll teach you how to build a website, including selecting a domain and choosing your hosting platform.
• You’ll learn how search engine optimisation skills, including how to rank on Google searches and how to be effective in advertising and marketing your business online.
How does the sign-off process work?
We are a licensed Skills Section Approved Activity Provider (AAP) for The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. This means our courses meet the requirements of the skills section for Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
When you sign up, we will provide the necessary details for your eDofE account.
Once you’ve completed the course, we will complete your personalised assessor’s report, send a certificate or achievement and sign off your skills section as completed.