Do you want to learn how to make money from investing but don’t know where to start? Or do you want to find out more about how to buy shares?
Our online, self-paced course will teach you the essential skills you need to invest in shares from a personal finance and investment expert.
How does the course work?
The course is online, can be started at any time and is self-paced so you can fit it around existing commitments. The course material is delivered via your online account on our website.
Each week consists of a video to watch, followed by a practical (but theoretical!) task to help you develop your investing skills. Together, the video and task should take an hour to complete.
Our courses are tailored to young people, with lots of practical tips and step-by-step real-life challenges.
We offer the option of three, six and twelve month courses, also covering money management, business and life skills.
What will the course cover?
Our three-month course on “how to invest in shares” covers the knowledge you’ll need to buy and sell shares:
• You’ll learn about the basics of owning shares, why share prices move and how you can make a profit from owning shares.
• We’ll teach you how to create a balanced portfolio and how to balance risk and reward. You’ll review my investment portfolio and make suggestions on how to improve it for this week’s task.
• You’ll research different sectors to see which would have made you the most money.
• We’ll explain how to analyse which shares to buy, including a simple introduction to valuation and key measures.
• You’ll compare some of the trading platforms on offer and the fees they charge.
• At this stage, you’re ready to start the share challenge. You’ll research and pick four shares. You’ll also pick four shares that have been tipped online and will set up a virtual portfolio of all the shares.
• In the penultimate week, you’ll learn about funds, and also add these to your virtual portfolio.
• Over the course of a few weeks, you’ll review how your chosen shares and funds perform against your ‘blind tips’ and work out the final profit or loss you’ve made.
How does the sign-off process work?
We are a licensed Skills Section Approved Activity Provider (AAP) for The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award. This means our courses meet the requirements of the skills section for Bronze, Silver and Gold awards.
When you sign up, we will provide the necessary details for your eDofE account.
Once you’ve completed the course, we will complete your personalised assessor’s report, and sign off your skills section as completed.