Join Pod Volunteer to study the biology, behaviour and husbandry of their elephants with the aim of enhancing the welfare of captive and wild elephants throughout South Africa for 1 week +. Volunteers work closely with the elephant herd who live in the park to provide care and enrichments for them. There are monthly trip start dates for volunteers aged 17 years +.
How can I help?
Join the local expert team to care for and research their herd of 5 African elephants. All volunteers receive elephant information and talks and are involved in a range of tasks, including:
* Helping look after the elephants – preparing their food, changing their sawdust bedding, and mucking out their living areas
* Field observations of the elephants – during the day and at night
* Walking with the elephants
* Data entry
* Making elephant enrichments to encourage wild foraging behaviour
* General maintenance – cleaning of elephant pens, water troughs and other areas, maintenance and painting
* Making elephant dung paper to sell to raise funds for the project
Volunteers who stay for 3 weeks+ also undertake additional elephant research tasks.