Live the life of a trainee game ranger on a lush game reserve near Port Elizabeth. Not only will every day be like a safari, but you will also enjoy both practical and theoretical training to gain a qualification.
You can take part in this 8 week programme throughout the year. There are start dates in early January, March, June, August and October.
What’s it all about?
The course focuses on general aspects of working in a game reserve whilst training you up to become a game ranger.
This involves, but is not limited to:
– Seeing and learning about the amazing wildlife in the reserve: lions, elephants, buffalo, rhino, hippo, zebra, giraffes and monkeys to name a few
– Learning the basics of reserve management, ecology, astronomy and animal care
– Gaining first-hand experience of game monitoring, game counts, game captures and game drives
– Attending classes to develop your knowledge and prepare you for your Apprentice Field Guide practical and theoretical exams
– Taking your First Aid level 1 certificate.
– Achieving a well recognised FGASA (Field Guide Association South Africa) Apprentice Field Guide qualification upon successful completion of your exams at the end of the course.
How much does it cost?
The game ranger course, which lasts 8 weeks, costs £3140
Accommodation and food
Accommodation is on site in the game reserve. There are large comfortable dormitory-style rooms with access to swimming pools, tennis courts and beautiful relaxation areas.
Participants receive three meals per day, including continental and cooked breakfast, curry, stir fry, meat, potatoes, rice, pasta, vegetables, burgers and salads.
The course runs Monday – Friday each week, with weekends and evenings generally free. Most participants find that it is necessary to spend some evenings and weekends learning and revising elements of their course of study, especially closer to the end of the course. At the weekend there is plenty of opportunity to explore the Garden Route and Port Elizabeth, or simply chill out by the pool with a book.
Volunteers must be 17+ to participate. The summer is very popular, so you are encouraged to book early to guarantee your space.
How do I get involved?
If you would like to take part in this programme then you can find more information on our website https://www.oysterworldwide.com/project/south-africa-game-ranger-course/
Alternatively, please contact Destination Manager, Anne, at [email protected] or on +44 (0) 1892 770771.