What kind of food and meals should I bring on a DofE expedition?
Getting the right food will help you enjoy your adventure. It’s a chance to be creative, and to understand more about rationing and outdoor survival.
Your DofE expedition food should be compact and easy to carry. It needs to be high in slow-release energy, which will help you throughout your expedition.
To meet your expedition aim you need to plan, prepare and cook a meal as a group but outdoor food packs are great for breakfast or when journeying.
Wayfayrer expedition foods are nutritious and ready to eat hot or cold. They’re small to carry, have durable packaging that won’t split in your rucksack, and they match the meals you might have at home. They feature vegetarian and vegan choices too.
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended expedition food is easy to prepare and won’t break in your rucksack. You don’t need to keep them refrigerated – your bag will be just fine.
Pre-packed expedition food is a convenient way to get the right nutrients for your adventure. And there are lots of everyday foods you can add to keep your costs down:
– You will need to cook from scratch and plan meals your whole team can share. Split the ingredients, cost, packing and effort between the team.
– Mars bars, boiled sweets, jelly cubes or Kendal mint cake – just a few everyday foods for that extra energy hit.
– Save food from other trips such as your practice expedition – it might come in handy again.
– Use Lifeventure LocTop waterproof bags to pack and protect your rations.
– Use your exclusive DofE Card or Voucher to claim your discount* in all local GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) and online
– Get creative with cooking to have the most fun possible.
– Cook in groups – and make your Assessor a food critic.
– Pack your meals together to save time.
– Always aim for compact food with lots of slow-release energy.
– Stay extra safe with Vango hydration packs and Lifeventure water purifying tablets.
For a quick guide to planning your DofE expedition meals, download our popular meal planner here.
Read our blog for recipe inspiration on your expedition.
For DofE Adults’ discounts, click here.