What makes a great expedition meal?
Getting the right food will help you enjoy your adventure. It’s a chance to be creative, and to understand more about rationing and outdoor survival.
Your DofE expedition food should be compact and easy to carry. It needs to be high in slow-release energy, which will help you throughout your expedition.
To meet your expedition aim you need to plan, prepare and cook a meal as a group but outdoor food packs are great for breakfast or when journeying.
All DofE recommended expedition food is easy to prepare and the packaging won’t split in your rucksack. You don’t need to keep them refrigerated – your bag will be just fine.
There are two types of DofE recommended expedition food: ready to eat and dehydrated.
Wayfayrer expedition food is nutritious and ready to eat hot or cold. They’re small to carry, have durable packaging, and match meals you might have at home. You can pick from savoury or sweet options.
- All Day Breakfast
- Beans and Burgers
- Chicken Tikka and Rice
- Chilli Con Carne
- Pasta and Meatballs
- Plus many more
- Chocolate Pudding
- Sticky Toffee Pudding
Dehydrated: Firepot expedition food is designed for expeditions. They are lightweight and high calorie – just add boiling water to get your food ready to eat.
- Posh pork and beans
- Beef stew with pearl barley
- Spicy pork noodles
- Porcini mushroom risotto
- Plus many more
- Get creative with cooking to have the most fun possible.
- Pack your meals together to save time.
- Aim for compact food with lots of slow-release energy.
- Plan an expedition menu to give yourself something to look forward to when you reach camp.
Expedition meal planner
Plan breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for every day of your expedition.
- There are lots of everyday foods you can add to keep costs down – Mars bars, boiled sweets, jelly cubes or Kendal mint cake are just a few everyday foods for that extra energy hit.
- You’ll need to cook from scratch and plan meals your whole team can share. Split the ingredients, cost, packing and effort between the team.
- Save food from other trips such as your practice expedition – it might come in handy again.
- Use your DofE Card to save at least 10% on expedition kit at our recommended retailers. Find your nearest store.