What is the best cooking equipment for a DofE expedition?
You’ll need to cook a hot meal during your DofE expedition, and show you can use a cooking stove, or ‘campcraft’ effectively in the wild. Compact camping stoves and utensils are a great addition to your pack, as hot food is always welcome when camping outdoors!
Your stove will use gas, bio-gel or methylated spirits (meths) as fuel. Whichever you have, you must be trained before you use it on your own.
Trangia 25 Series
View Trangia 25
Trangia 27 Series
View Trangia 27
Vango Folding Gas Stoves
Ideal for large pots
View Folding gas stove
Trangia Gas Burner & Fuel
All Duke of Edinburgh’s Award recommended stoves are safe, compact, lightweight, easy to clean and cheap to run. If looked after well, they can last for many years.
DofE recommended cooking utensils
Using specially-designed camping utensils can really cut down on weight and space. It’s also more robust than regular cook ware, which is helpful on longer Gold Award expeditions.
Available from Lifeventure:
The right camp cooking kit helps bring a team together, and can be used for many expeditions in the future. There are lots of ways to keep your costs down:
– Check cheaper gas burners for infrequent use – a burner that sits on the ground next to its fuel is a good option.
– Speak to staff at your nearest GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) for advice on stoves and fuel. However, always follow advice from your DofE Leader.
– Mugs can be converted into handy measures by scratching lines in the right places.
– Use your exclusive DofE Card or Voucher to claim your discount* in all local GO Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, Ultimate Outdoors or Tiso store (Scotland only) and online.
For DofE Adults’ discounts, click here.
Get into good habits with your cooking stove and campcraft to maintain your gear and stay safe when you cook outdoors:
– Halve your cooking time by placing a lid on your pan.
– Always use a purpose built bottle to carry fuel.
– Keep your burner in a strong plastic bag to prevent tarnishing.
For more guidance on stove safety, download the DofE stove safety instructions here.