Achieving your Award is an adventure from beginning to end and this section can give you some of your most memorable experiences!
From sailing along the Norfolk Broads to walking in Canada or horse riding in the Brecon Beacons, it can be as far-flung or as close to home as you want it to be. You can also choose how you want to travel – it doesn’t just have to be on foot! You could choose to do your expedition by bike, by canoe, by kayak, by wheelchair, by sailing boat or even on a horse or llama!
There’ll need to be between four and seven of you in an expedition team (eight if you’ve chosen to travel by tandem canoe or bike). With your team, you’ll plan an aim for your expedition, decide on your location and do lots of fun training to make sure you’re fully prepared and know what you’re doing! Your Leader will arrange a Supervisor to work with your team to organise all of this and help you plan your expedition.
Once you’ve done the preparation the fun starts when you go out and do a practice and a qualifying expedition. Once you’ve completed your final expedition you’ll give a presentation about your experiences and your achievements to your Supervisor, Assessor or another adult.
The whole experience will give you laughs, arguments, joy and frustration along the way. But, by the end, you’ll have better team and leadership skills, not to mention bags more confidence and a rucksack full of great memories!
“…we depended solely on everyone working as one. We had very low points, but when we had highs, they were exceptionally high…I still keep in touch with my team… this has to be one of the best things I have done…”
Tim, Silver Award holder
What do you need to do next?
- Find out what you need to do in detail, including the process and timescales, on our expedition requirements page
- Check out the ideas in each of the categories of expedition mode of travel using the links on the right (remember - you need to get your Leader to agree your choice and make sure it fits our requirements and 20 conditions)
- Download a handy Expedition section programme planner from our expedition downloads page
- Download a list of expedition ideas from our expedition downloads page
- Develop a plan for your expedition which is specific and relevant to you (and your team)
- Once you've got your activity, Supervisor, Assessor and goals sorted, set up your plan in eDofE, get your Leader to approve them - and you're good to go!
Going on expedition?
Don't forget your two essential expedition downloads, the DofE kit guide - advice and information on the kit you'll need and the DofE kit list - your check list to make sure you have and have packed the kit you'll need.
Good luck and have fun!
Got a question on this section? Go here...