To achieve your Gold Award, you need to complete an extra section – the Residential. This involves spending 5 days and 4 nights away from home on a shared activity with people you’ve never met before.
It’s a big, exciting and very fulfilling experience. It may be that you want to build on a talent you’ve developed in another section, learn something completely new on an intensive course or do something to help others. From learning to snowboard in Scotland to helping at a children’s camp, from working with the National Trust to helping on an urban recycling project, or from learning French in Paris to sailing a tall ship, there are loads of exciting possibilities to find the activity that’s just right for you.
“Before I went to India on my residential, I was told by a few people that it would be a life-changing experience. At the time I didn’t believe them, but now I have returned, my perspectives on everyday life have been changed. Our experiences at the Goodwill Village especially allowed me to grow as a person, gaining confidence and experiencing new sensations that very few people ever get to experience.”
Hannah, DofE participant
What do you need to do next?
- Find out what you need to do in detail, including the process and timescales, on our residential requirements page
- Check out the ideas and opportunities in each of the residential categories of activity using the links on the right (remember - you need to get your Leader to agree your choice and make sure it fits our requirements for the Residential section)
- Download a handy Residential section programme planner on the right
- Download a list of residential ideas on the right
- Check your plan meets our requirements using the handy Residential section check list on the right
- Develop a plan for a programme which is specific and relevant to you
- Once you’ve found a residential you want to do, ask the person running it, or another adult there, to be your Assessor
- Once you've got your activity, Assessor and goals sorted, set up your plan in eDofE, get your Leader to approve them - and you're good to go!
- Don’t forget to remind them when you get there that you want your time with them to count towards your Gold DofE programme and meet with your Assessor!
Good luck and have fun!
Got a question on this section? Go here...